Chris Wood says he’s fully recovered from this season’s injury woes and is ready to lead the All Whites into their third FIFA World Cup appearance next month in North America.
The striker spoke to media today ahead of his second FIFA World Cup, after taking part as a teenager in the 2010 tournament in South Africa.
The All Whites captain says the profile of the New Zealand team has changed since their unforgettable campaign in 2010 where they were the only unbeaten team at the tournament.
“I think now we're very much more a technical ball playing side and very good on the pitch as well.
“In 2010, we were great on the pitch, but we had proper leaders, proper run through brick walls-type players and it really showed, and that's what got us so far in that tournament and how we got three draws and become their unbeaten side.
“So, two vastly different teams and very hard to compare but I know this team will want to do big things, want to cause a few upsets, and we want to get out of the group. That's our goal.
“We're under no illusion it's going to be tough, but we think we've got the quality in our dressing room to be able to do that,” he says.
Chris Wood says he has fond memories of his previous FIFA World Cup experience as an 18-year-old in South Africa. He’s confident it’ll help him guide the All Whites in North America in Group G against IR Iran, Egypt and Belgium.
“It was a lot of joy and a lot of excitement, a bit like today. It's going to be a great occasion, great to be a part of.
“But back then, I think it was one of just enjoy it and just be in there, whereas this time is a lot different. We've got a lot more higher aims. We want to progress out of the group, even though we did back then.
“I think now it might be more realistic in that sense so that we can hopefully do that, but it's going to be tough,” he says.
Wood says it’s special to share his 2026 FIFA World Cup call up alongside Tommy Smith, who was also part of the 2010 squad.
“I think he's going to bring a lot of experience. Obviously, the only other Kiwi that has been to a World Cup and understand what he's gone through, and he's got a lot more experience than I do in that sense because he started and played all of those games. So he can help out the team a lot more than I can.
“I can share my experiences as well, but I think he'll be vital in that sense of understanding the occasion that we all have to play in and then the process of dealing with, as I say, the occasion, everything around it, and helping everybody else in that sense off the pitch as well to keep everybody focused and in line.”
The All Whites captain says the side is determined to make Kiwi history and secure their first ever FIFA World Cup win.
“Getting a win against any of them is going to be important. The first one is always majorly important because then you've got to go on to maybe finish higher up in the group.
“Iran is a very good side. They showed that in the Asia tournaments, they're not going to be pushed over easily.
“They’ll be looking at us to try and beat us and get themselves on the board, so it's going to be a good opening first game.”
The Nottingham Forest striker has struggled with injuries in this season’s English Premier League, having to undergo surgery at the end of 2025 on his knee.
But he says it never crossed his mind he wouldn’t be able to represent his country at the 2026 FIFA World Cup and has started playing regularly for his club side in recent months.
“I've been playing games now for over a month and a half, so I feel good, feel up to speed, which is nice and ready to continue to attack the off-season.
“I'm just happy to be back firing both for Forrest and for the national team coming into this World Cup period and it's just given me that hunger to strive and achieve for more, definitely,” says the Nottingham Forest forward.
Article added: Friday 22 May 2026
New Zealand Football Inc
Football House, North Harbour Stadium,
Stadium Drive, Albany,
Auckland, New Zealand
© Copyright New Zealand Football. All rights reserved.
Sign up to our fan newsletter: