Regulations on the Status and Transfer of Players (RSTP)
The New Zealand Football RSTPs lay down the binding rules for football in New Zealand concerning the status of Players, their eligibility to participate in Organised Football, and their transfer between Clubs.
The objectives of these Regulations are to:
- Develop and protect the game of football in New Zealand in all its forms for participants of all abilities and skill;
- Ensure football is regulated in a consistent and coordinated manner across New Zealand, its Regional Associations and Clubs;
- Ensure young Players are adequately protected; and
- Align NZF Regulations with the Statues and Regulations of FIFA, including ensuring that NZF has included in its Regulations the mandatory regulations and principles as required by FIFA in the FIFA RSTP.
For the full NZF Regulations, click HERE.
- As per NZ Football’s RSTPs, it is mandatory that all Players be registered on Goalnet prior to taking the field of play in an Official Match
- As of 17 February 2016, the registration period will no longer be in effect. The period for which Players may register and be deemed eligible to play will be determined by the relevant competition regulations
- A Player that is not active in the relevant season on Goalnet and appears for their Club in any Official Match is deemed to have played illegitimately and is therefore ineligible. Sanctions may be imposed on Players and/or Clubs
- A Player may only be registered with one Club at a time
- A Player may only play for the Club for which they are registered with; unless they also play for:
- A Futsal Club or centre
- A school team that is not playing in the same competition as their Club’s team(s)
- Any other team affiliated to a Federation, which plays in a competition not controlled by the Federation and does not play in the same competition as their Club. For example the Sunday League
- Any transfer of a Player between Clubs affiliated to NZ Football must be completed through Goalnet
- For Winter Season Competitions, no transfer of a Player shall be allowed by any Club from 1 July to 30 September (inclusive), except in exceptional circumstances
- A Player cannot play for their new Club until the transfer has been concluded by both the Former Club and the New Club, and where appropriate, New Zealand Football and the relevant Federation(s)
- For avoidance of doubt, Player transfers are split into
- Domestic Transfers (within New Zealand); and
- International Transfers (in and out of New Zealand).
- Domestic Transfers are dealt with in accordance with the NZF RSTP
- International Transfers are to be dealt with in accordance with the FIFA Regulations
International Transfers (ITC)
In accordance with the FIFA Regulations on the Status and Transfer of Players (FIFA RSTP), an international clearance is required for any player aged 10 and over who wishes to register for a Club in New Zealand and has previously been registered for a Club abroad; or who is a foreign national seeking to register for the first time in this country.
Please refer to the International Transfer Flowchart below to discover what kind of ITC that you may need.
ITC FLOWCHART. Click to enlarge
ITC: New Zealand Football Guide to ITCs
The guide below is designed to give Clubs and Players an overview of the process(es) that are undertaken to complete an International Transfer, as well as outlining the documents that are needed to complete an application:
ITC: Minor Player Transfers
Below are the resources for International Transfers / Registrations involving Players aged between 10 – 17 years of age. Please click on the heading to download the file:
- Checklist A: Application for Minors Resident in New Zealand for 5+ Years
- Checklist B: Application for Minors Resident in New Zealand for less than 5 Years
- ITC Minor Forms
ITC: Student Minor Player Transfers
Below are the resources for International Transfers / Registrations involving Players aged between 10 – 17 years of age and are on an official Student Exchange Programme. Please click on the heading to download the file:
Below are some of the forms that may be required to be completed by Clubs and/or Players for various parts of a registration/transfer process.