Rovers ready for defence

Glenfield Rovers captain Liz Milne. Photo by

Defending champions Glenfield Rovers made a statement in their first appearance of their title defence of the 2016 New Zealand Women’s Knockout Cup.

The three-time champions comfortably put away conference side Hibiscus Coast 7-0 away from home to show they will be again among the leading contenders to claim the title in 2016.  Football Ferns training squad members Steph Skilton and Katie Rood netted four and two goals respectively as they showed their scoring credentials in the fixture. In fairness to Hibiscus Coast, they lost their keeper Harriet Rea to injury after six minutes and an outfield player had to go in goal.

Meanwhile, Eastern Suburbs also made a statement of their own with a 13-0 win over Papakura City FC with Jade Parris scoring seven goals and Jacqui Hand completing a hat-trick.

The Claudelands Rovers versus Three Kings United match probably had the most drama of the all the fixtures in round two so far. Rovers looked to be cruising when Sarah Krystman scored their third goal in the 54th minute to lead 3-0 but everything changed late in the piece. Three Kings United went down to 10 women when Claudia Crasborn was red carded for two yellows and that sparked the visitors into life. They scored two goals in the final 10 minutes but the hosts did enough to hold on for the 3-2 win.

Further south in the Central League, Upper Hutt City made easy work of the Victoria University side when they put them away 12-0. Central’s Emma Main was the game’s dominant figure as she scored seven goals while her team-mate Becky Stewart also scored a hat-trick in the one-sided affair.

Also in the capital Petone were beaten 4-0 by Wellington United at home with Michaela Robertson bagging a quick-fire double, while Valeron Wanderers were beaten 2-0 at home by Seatoun AFC with the goals from Annie Olson the difference between the two sides.

There are another four Women’s Knockout Cup games on Monday to complete round two, while the men’s Chatham Cup roars into life with 31 fixtures around the country. There was only one Chatham Cup game today with Gore Wanderers AFC beating Grants Braes AFC 2-1 with Andy Roberts scoring the decisive second goal for the hosts.

300x260_Womens_Knockout_Cup NZF home page ad

NZ Women’s Knockout Cup Round Two results:

Northern Region:

Forrest Hill Milford United 3 (Tessa Berger 35’, Malia Steinmetz 46’, Chloe Knott 49’) Papatoetoe 1 (Savana Asafo-Tavitan 25’)
Hibiscus Coast 0 Glenfield Rovers 7 (Steph Skilton 1’, 26’, 30’, 60, Katie Rood 25’, 62’, Bel Van Noorden 28’) HT 0-5
Eastern Suburbs 13 (Jacqui Hand 3, Jade Parris 7, Daisy Cleverley 2, Amy Waters) Papakura City FC 0, HT 9-0
Western Springs AFC 3 (Rebecca O’Neill 2, Elaine Murray) Norwest United 1 (Catherine Pretty) HT 2-1
Ellerslie AFC 0 Lynn-Avon United AFC 1 (Jemima Ferrier) HT 0-0
Claudelands Rovers 3 (Leah Gubb 8’, Ella Golding 24’, Sarah Krystman 54’) Three Kings United 2 (Tessa Leong 80’, Martine Puketapu 86’) HT 2-0
Rotorua Premier Women’s 2 (Kim Maguire 11’, Robyn Fisher 53’) Central United 0 HT 1-0

Central League

Upper Hutt City 12 (Emma Main 27’, 37’, 38’, 50‘, 61’, 75‘, 80’, Becky Stewart 9’, 13‘, 25’, Emma Lavery 73’, Ellen Stirling 90’) Victoria University of Wellington AFC 0 HT 6-0
Petone 0 Wellington United 4 (Jayme-Lee Hunter 61’, Michaela Robertson 76’, 80’, Francesca Grange 67’)
Valeron Wanderers 0 Seatoun AFC 2 (Annie Olson 2)

Chatham Cup Round Two Results:
Football South:
Gore Wanderers AFC 2 (Miguel Oritz 23’ Andy Roberts 66’) Grants Braes AFC 1 (Hal Fish 77’ pen) HT 1-0

Related Topics: