Goals aplenty in women’s action

The Forrest Hill-Milford players celebrate finding the net against Metro. Photo: Shane Wenzlick / www.phototek.co.nz

There was no shortage of goalmouth action in Round Three of the Women’s Knockout Cup today with a remarkable 32 goals scored across just six games.

The big winners were Three Kings United, who nearly hit double figures in dispatching Lynn-Avon United 9-0 while Western Springs and Forrest Hill-Milford United also earned comfortable victories, 4-0 over Rotorua United and 5-1 against Metro respectively.

Hannah Blake enjoyed a memorable afternoon with a five-goal haul for Three Kings and was joined as a multiple scorer by fellow youth international Martine Puketapu, who appears to have returned to her best after recovering from serious injury and notched a double.

Blake was not the only player taking home a match ball as Rebecca O’Neill also struck a hat-trick to help Springs put an end to Rotorua’s fairytale run in unceremonious fashion. Forrest Hill-Milford’s Tayla Christensen nearly matched O’Neill’s feat but had to settle for a brace as AFF/NFF Conference side Metro joined Rotorua in being humbled by classing NRFL Premier opposition.

The action was much closer elsewhere but there were plenty of goals nonetheless as several nail-biters took place.

TeeJay Lynne-Lewis became the third hat-trick scorer of the day but somehow still ended up on the wrong end as Palmerston North Marist lost a seven-goal thriller 4-3 to Upper Hutt City, who had Football Ferns goalkeeper Cushla Lichtwark sent off.

The punters were also on the edge of their seats in Auckland as Glenfield Rovers claimed a 3-2 win over fellow NRFL Premier side Eastern Suburbs thanks to a trio of players with experience of the Football Ferns environment in Elizabeth Milne, Stephanie Skilton and Katie Rood.

There were less goals down in the capital but the drama was just as tense, Seatoun finally earning a 1-0 win over Wellington United in extra-time thanks to Grace Surridge after the 90 minutes had ended scoreless.

The six fixtures today rounded out the weekend’s Women’s Knockout Cup play after the round kicked off yesterday with a pair of clashes.

Hat-tricks were also the order of the day as Mikayla Wieblitz, who featured for the New Zealand U-20 side last week against the USA U-19s, and Hannah Wong both found the net three times in Cashmere Technical’s 7-0 dismantling of FC Twenty 11.

Meanwhile, Roslyn Wakari left it late to defeat Otago University, Jessie Clark-Grant eventually popping up in the last minute to score the winner in a 1-0 victory.

The victorious sides from Round Three can now all turn their attentions to the quarter-finals of the Women’s Knockout Cup and will find out who they will be facing when the official draw is conducted early this week.

Women’s Knockout Cup Round 3

Saturday 25 June

FC Twenty 11 0 – 7 Cashmere Technical (HT: 0-5)
TWE: None
CSH: Hannah Wong 3, Mikayla Wieblitz 3, Christy Barker

Otago University 0 – 1 Roslyn Wakari (HT 0-0)
OTA: None
ROS: Jessie Clark-Grant

Sunday 26 June

Lynn-Avon United 0 – 9 Three Kings United (HT: 0-5)
LYN: None
TKU: Hannah Blake 5, Martine Puketapu 2, Paige Satchell, Isabella Richards

Glenfield Rovers 3 – 2 Eastern Suburbs (HT: 2-1)
GLE: Elizabeth Milne, Stephanie Skilton, Katie Rood
EAS: Jacqui Hand, Jade Parris (pen)

Palmerston North Marist 3 – 4 Upper Hutt City (HT: 2-2)
PNM: TeeJay Lynne-Lewis 3
UHC: Emily Morrison, Becky Stewart, Ellen Fibbes, Emma Main

Rotorua United 0 – 4 Western Springs (HT: 0-2)
ROT: None
WES: Rebecca O’Neill 3, Emily Cooper

Metro 1 – 5 Forrest Hill-Milford United (HT: 0-1)
MET: Shannon Goldstone
FHM: Tayla Christensen 2, Hannah Carlsen, Lily Jervis, Saskia Vosper

Seatoun 1 – 0 Wellington United AET (HT: 0-0, FT: 0-0)
SEA: Grace Surridge
WEL: None

Related Topics: